A Matter of Trust Identifying Problems and Crafting Solutions
A review of the case study identifies a number of problems within this family unit:
- marriage and the validity of wills,
- the impact of a non-resident executor and power of attorney,
- the power of trusts when a child has a mental health issues,
- the trustee’s role in ensuring assets are prudently invested,
- the impact of a poorly drafted trust on social benefits, and
- when marriage contracts play an important role during the plan to preserve and distribute wealth.
During this session we’ll discuss how to identify problems and craft solutions when a family is facing major life changes and how legislation in Canada’s common-law provinces can have an (inadvertent) impact.